Monday, October 17, 2011

Wedding Technology.


Last weekend, my wife and I had our wedding in Japan.  My family couldn't be there but, undaunted, I decided to bring my family to the wedding via Skype.  They were able to join in the celebration from thousands of miles away. It was fantastic! I am amazed at our day and age of technology.  It reminds me of what one of my science teachers told me once, "Just because it can't be done, doesn't mean it won't be done."

Did someone tell Orville and Wilbur right that humans will never fly?  Did someone tell Henry Ford he could never make cars better than a horse carriage?  Did someone tell Thomas Edison Artificial Light without fire was impossible?  Did someone tell Nicola Tesla he could never supply power to the people better than Thomas Edison?  And last but my current favorite, Did someone tell Steve Jobs that he could never make hand held computing for the masses?  If you answered yes to all of these questions, give yourself a cookie.

It isn't about what can't be done, its what can't be done right now.  What can't be done right now, is tomorrow's next innovation.  So when I say I want to talk to my great, great, great, grandfather - regardless of his being dead a really, really long time - it just can't be done right now. But, maybe my great, great, great grandson will be able to talk to me.  If I am intrepid, maybe I can take some of those generations away from the wait and let my Grandson talk to me after I have passed. That is my dream. 

Call me crazy, but It can be done, just not right now.  Cheers to technology and the future!

Link of the day is devilsworkshop.org from where I got the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those that don't use facebook, please comment here.